There once was a piece of property owned by the Hochhalter family in Newburgh that was passed from Louis and Emma to John Knapp and his wife, Eva Hochhalter Knapp.
In 1902, the Knapps signed a lease with the Town of Newburgh to build a municipal building, which included a stage and a basketball court up on the second floor.
The building, located at Highway 662 East, also housed the fire department, the police station and the town hall meeting room on the first floor. The street level was used continually, as one could imagine, with all of the bustling activity in this part of town.
Newburgh High School's first basketball team was coached by teacher W. Maurice Abel shown here in the 1930s, on the far right. Members of this team shown in the photo, in no particular order were: Harold Brizius, Claude Gentry, Orville Fuquay, Maurice Bell, Paul Bell, Arthur Seybold and Paul Brizius.
After a time, the second story was discontinued after a new gymnasium was built for the old Newburgh High School. However, the old basketball court still existed for many years after, complete with its hard wooden floors and markings. It was recorded as being one of the oldest second story basketball courts in the state of Indiana.